PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS Descend-RA below Min Safe Alt
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2007, 15:21
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intruder :
No, I do not read science fiction anymore, but maybe I should go back to it

I accept and follow your reasoning above, and would be willing to agree with your points , especially about the more complex human environment more sense reversals would induce , both in the cockpit and , in case of RA downlink, with the controllers. We might indeed open a can full of (new) worms .

But there are 2 points I disagree :
You said :
I can't accept as raw fact the need to change the logic because of a few incidents, including the Ueberlingen mishap. .
The incidents are not few and the consequences of a " mishap" as you put it are the major issue . For a refresher, in Ueberlingen we were " lucky" that one aircraft was half empty , the other one was a cargo and all the pieces fell in the countryside.
Now, with Murphy around, the next one could well be between a full 747 on an Asian route (i.e full ) with an Mediterranean charter 767 ( i.e also full ) which could kill 5 or 600 people. If the pieces fell above a city of populated areas the damage would also be quite significant. The political fallout of such an accident , especially after the lessons of Ueberlingen would no be sustainable for any Aviation official and politician.

In fact, I submit that it would be better for the education of the Pilots to be monitored by the appropriate regulatory officials in the airlines where non-compliance with RAs is a factor
That does not work today for many reasons. One of them starts with current priority TCAS training is being given. I cannot talk for the US, but I know of at least one large European carrier , whose TCAS training consist of a 6 pages photocopy document being tossed at you, followed by the inclusion of one or 2 RAs during the Sims checks . And we all know that no realistic ATC interface R/T ever takes place on most Sim sessions.
So, in Europe at least, we reap what has been planted .