PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2007, 12:20
mgmark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not posted before, but enjoy the forum immensely, and couldn't resist this in the "things one wishes one hadn't said" category....

Isn't it due time someone quoted tombstone again just for posterity?
I presume this is the posterity in question....

Beagle & Tim,

I will walk around every into each Sqn crewroom at Marham, naked with a rose between my arse cheeks, singing a song of your choice if the Vulcan ever flies again.

The project is almost as badly as some of the tasks carried out on the BBC's 'The Apprentice'.

The 250k won't do anything other that keep the project milling over at its woefully slow pace.

There is very little commercial backing for the Vulcan
(the killer blow IMHO)

Aircraft such as the B17 & Lancaster should and will always get the funding (if only just) as they contributed towards our freedom in such a way that the Vulcan does not come close to. The nuclear detterent was obviously an important aspect of the UK's cold war defence however, I don't think you can compare an a/c that held Nuclear QRA with an a/c that men died in over Germany IMHO.

The Black Buck missions were a great achievment however, there impact on the outcome of the conflict was arguably a minor one. This being the only actual combat the Vulcan participated in, I don't think it merits an endless supply of funding to get it flying for a year or two.

Perhaps any funding heading towards the Vulcan would be better suited for looking after our veterans.
Marvellous to hear and follow the news on PPRune - the internet gatway thingy at work bars us from all useful live communication, except the likes of this forum - thanks to those who kept posting with the news!

MG Mark