PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2007, 10:00
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pilot -Br , in quoting the Fohla you seem to have missed ( unintentionally I hope ) the crucial NEW information in the report ( in bold ) :

The complete transcriptions of the radio conversations between
control and the aircraft in the region of the accident, obtained and analyzed
by the Folha, also show that Cindacata-1 received and ignored at least
three calls from the Legacy before the collision.
The motive is linked to the equipment's limitations: of the four
options
of frequencies that the American may have used, according to the
Brazilian aeronautic chart, two were unavailable for the controller and another wasn't even in operation.
In summary, there was only one possible frequency and the American pilots
never received instructions to tune to it
, as has already been released.
Also do not forget that we have not yet seen the CENIPA report,as you seem to have. For me this information was new and explains quite a lot.

you said later :
No equipment failure was proved until now, although a lot of people insisted on this theory
Playing with the words again . I would argue for equipment design failures both in the ATC system ( e.g assigning automatically Flight plan altitude, replacing Mode C altitude with military height finders average height, etc.. . and in the Embraer aircraft avionic suite ( e.g ability to switch off transponder ( and TCAS) in a single key stroke without adequate warning to the crew ) .
I consider those TO BE major technical issues and failures.

I will not even go into the facts of assigning frequencies in areas with known coverage shortcomings, and applying radar procedures in known areas with no radar coverage, placing transfer of control/communications in those black out areas, and so on.
you said :
our airspace is in a mess, but all of these facts, that is totally true, was not possible to be related to this accident.
I agree with the mess, I disagree strongly with the fact that it is not related to this accident.