PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Congratulations to the RAAA – TCAS cost savings
Old 18th Oct 2007, 02:15
werbil

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What is the big deal with class E airspace?

Our class G is unusual in that IFR aircraft are provided with traffic information about other IFR aircraft. It is my understanding that in many other parts of the world, IFR in G get zip, unless in radar coverage where a service may be available.

As I understand for all intents and purposes in Australia the only differences (outside CTAF's) between E & G are:
E - clearance required for IFR, G - reporting required for IFR.
E - separation provided between IFR and IFR, G - traffic information provided between IFR & IFR
E - transponder mandatory all aircraft, G - transponder not required.

Class E is designed to protect IFR from IFR, not IFR from VFR. You will still have the same number of "bugsmashers" flying without ATC / FS input irrespective of whether you are flying in G or E - how can it possibly be less safe?

So I would like someone to explain to me how G is safer than E as I must be missing something (Scurvy are you allowed to play yet / how was the holiday?)

Yes the highest risk of collision is the circuit. If the ADS-B proposal is implemented as proposed in the JCP there will be mandatory transponder carriage in CTAF(R)'s.

vans Well put.