PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - glasses in RAAF
Thread: glasses in RAAF
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2001, 06:12
GCP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Hello everyone. I had best jump in again.

Part of the military selection process instituted in recent years is a test which performs a couple of functions. One: it maps your eyes so that possible damage done during your Service career can be properly attributed (military class lasers have a degree of hazard associated with their use); and two: it detects corrective surgery that has been performed.

It will be detected. You will not 'get away with it'...promise.

There were very real concerns about the safety of laser surgery for aircrew use. The specific possibilites posed by the airborne environment had not been declared safe. In fact, I think that a certain Australian international airline agreed with the military assessment and also did not allow laser surgery. I think that these concerns remain to some extent.

I would like to point out that with the changed standards regarding glasses I explained above you may not need to resort to surgery to pass.

(by the way, I cannot help you resolve the ambiguity of the previous message, if it exists - I just published the message as best I could read it. I checked the paras questioned above and they are as per the message)

However, again the good news: Since my last post another message has been received.

Certain types of surgery: Photorefractive Keratotomy (PRK) and LASIK are permitted once only under certain circumstances.

Refractive Keratotomy (RK) is not approved.

There are very specific restrictions on the outcomes and follow up reviews are required. The message comes with a warning that refractive surgery is not guaranteed to result in uncorrected vision that meets the requirements or is free of haze. I am not going to publish the standards. I will not take responsibility for you deciding to butcher your eyes. If you think it is for you, make contact with the recruiting centre. Indeed, they will not take responsibility for your decision either. All recruiting medical officers should be familiar with the message. If they are not familiar, ask them to check for a message released from SGADF CANBERRA (surgeon general ADF) DTG 120430ZOCT01.

Again it is your decision. It is a risky procedure and you may not be accepted even with it done.
Regards