PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - glasses in RAAF
Thread: glasses in RAAF
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2001, 04:21
MacTuc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, a big thanks to CBT for providing the info on the standards change. i'm continually impressed by the "network" of people here and the knowledge that each brings - even the smallest piece of info is of use to *someone* out there.

something of a techical question for those in the know - my optometrist seems to think there is a disparity in points 4 & 5

"4. Hypermetropic Astigmatism will be not more than plus 0.75 Dioptres each eye for all aircrew recruits
5. Myopia will be no more than minus 1.00 Dioptres each eye for all aircrew recruits"

she tells me that the 0.75 hypermetropic & 1.00 myopic dioptres are incompatible - something about having to multiply the myopic dioptre by 2 to get an equivalent hypermetropic dioptre - i.e. 1 dioptre myopia (point 5) is equivalent to 2 dioptres hypermetropia (point 4) rather than 0.75 as stated.

now all this doesnt make a lick of sense to me, just wondering if anyone can clarify this point. it is of particular interest for myself, as i am very borderline on the 0.75 hypermetropic astigmatism limit.

Felixmini - great post mate, an undying will to succeed is surely the key to "making it" in this industry, and an enviable virtue to be sure.

again, thanks for the new info. best of luck to all who decide to re-apply given these develpoments