View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2001, 10:17
GCP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Dear franksnbeans (and others interested),
I might have good news for you.

The standard has been changed.

I suspect that the message may not have spread through the system as well as it could/should have. I believe that some of my colleagues are chasing this up.
The medical standards for entry are published in ADFP (Australian Defence Force Publication)701. The requirements for aircrew are at Chapter 9 - visual standards are at paragraph 907. The publication (or at least the copy on the defence web) does not appear to have been amended since initial issue in June 1997. However, a message was released on 10 Nov 2000 which changed the visual requirements from that date. Being a faxed copy of a message it is a little hard to read (even for my aircrew eyes!) but it says: (asterisk* follows terms I found hard to read)
SUBJ: LIBERALISATION OF VISUAL STANDARDS FOR ALL ADF AIRCREW RECRUITS
1. Effective from this date the following visual standards will apply to all aircrew recruits
2. This message notifies amended health standards indicated at Chapter 9 Para 907 of ADFP701. Changes are effective immediately
3. MVR1* visual acuity for all aircrew recruits will be no worse than 6/12 unaided each eye (measured separately) and no worse than 6/6 corrected each eye (measured separately)
4. Hypermetropic Astigmatism will be not more than plus 0.75 Dioptres each eye for all aircrew recruits
5. Myopia will be no more than minus 1.00 Dioptres each eye for all aircrew recruits
6. Myopopic Astigmatism will be no more than minus 0.5 Dioptres each eye for all aircrew recruits
7. Near vision will be N5* or better after correction for all aircrew recruits, (Note this is a new requirement to meet CASA standards)
8. Refractive surgery remains disqualifying for all aircrew, however, this issue is presently under review
9. All other aircrew recruit visual standards remain unchanged
10. The change in policy promulgated in this message will shortly be published in an amendment to ADFP701
11. DRSB* POC on this issue is LTCOL ..........., staff officer grade one aviation medicine policy (02) 6266 3829

POC is point of contact. Hopefully the phone number won't have changed. I would not recommend that you try and call, but the recruiting centre you are dealing with certainly should if they don't know about these changes. The reference to CASA may be something about the need to get a student pilot licence for the intial training at BFTS (in civil aircraft). I don't what these standards mean or whether your eyesight will pass, but at least now you can approach the recruiting centre armed with some knowledge. The references to 'corrected' and 'uncorrected' lead me to think that glasses are no longer automatically disqualifying.
It would be best if we could address the underlying problem of communication. I would be interested to know whether you had your eyes tested before or after 10 Nov 2000 and who told you that you failed - the Doctor or the recruiting staff. Also, how did you lodge your appeals that you did not receive a reply to - in writing or over the phone - and to where. No need to give identifying details.
Regards.