PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. pilots in Oz?
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2007, 00:28
MayFly135s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corndog,

I'm ex-USAF, have chosen a life in the southern hemisphere with my Aussie partner, and just completed a FAA ATP to CASA ATPL conversion. Here’s the scoop…

2 main issues facing an expat pilot wanting to work down under presently:

Immigration: if you want to fly jets with the major players i.e. QANTAS, Virgin Blue, Jet Star you MUST hold Australian Permanent Residency with either a visa, Oz passport, or citizenship (most all the regionals also have a similar requirement). Presently pilots aren’t on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) but are on the Employer Nomination Scheme Occupation List (ENSOL). The short of this is that Oz won’t just be giving you a visa to come work as a pilot. You’ll either need to get a visa on your own merits (birth, spouse, family) or be nominated by a specific airline employer (QF/VB/J* don’t nominate to my knowledge). If the regionals do go down this road, know your visa is position specific and you just can’t quit one airline to join another - you’ll need a new visa.

Licence Conversion: while it is not the traumatic experience Starskate presents, I wouldn't call it an easy or inexpensive process either. My back ground is USAF, nearly 8 years of world wide heavy flying experience, and I hold numerous jet type ratings on my FAA ATP. In order to convert my licence I was required to pass 3 written exams:

- Instrument Rating Exam (IREX): 3.5 Hour Exam / 70% to Pass
- CPL Flight Rules & Air Law (CLWA): 2.0 Hour Exam / 80% to Pass
- ATPL Air Law (AALW): 1.5 Hour Exam / 80% to Pass
*NOTE: some airlines want credits in ALL ATPL Theory subjects (that’s 7 written tests).

Also unless you have formerly flow in Australia, you will have to do a flight test for the initial issue of a Multi-Engine Command Instrument Rating (MECIR) which is separate from the ATPL. I know it is odd for North Americans, but you can have an ATPL and not be instrument rated in Oz.

The flight test isn’t some quick "All ATPs" course where you show up, get ‘the gouge’ and fly a few quick flights. To get all the NAVAID endorsements on your initial MECIR you will need to fly an ILS / NDB / VOR / RNAV (GNSS) / DGA (DME or GPS Arrival – Aussie procedure) and HOLD, all while doing the usual run of single engine, circling, and missed approaches. I liken it more to a full route check and was expected to fly to another airport, utilize airways, and really know and operate under Australia’s vast expanse of Civil Aviation Regulations and Orders (CARs/CAOs). In my case that equated to a 3 hour flight test and covered 4 different airports to get all the endorsements.

By now I am sure you are wondering what low, low, price all this training will cost me. Here is the breakdown for me.

Cost: (Presently .89 AUD = 1 USD)
Flight Training: usually done in a light twin (BE76 PA44 etc). Costs vary 300-500/hr DUAL depending on region. Unless you are current/proficient in light twin, single pilot, IFR expect about 10 hours of flight time including your flight test: 4000 / 3600

*Note: I have heard of the initial MECIR being done in your usual type (A320 B737 etc) by finding an approved testing officer (ATO) and booking sim time. It avoids the hassle of relearning a light twin, but cost will vary at the market rate for the sim.

Examiner Fees: 400 / 360

CASA Licensing Fees:
Certificate of Validation (needed for initial flight training): 150 / 135
ATPL Licensing / Ratings / Endorsements Fee: 180 / 162
*Note: In the end all of my FAA ATP type ratings were recognised and listed as endorsements on my CASA ATPL.

CASA Class 1 Medical:
Medical Examiner Fees: 150 / 135
Ophthalmologist: 160 / 144
Blood Work: 40 / 36
CASA Processing Fee: 75 / 68

Written Exam Fees:
IREX: 174 / 156
CLWA: 154 / 139
AALW: 144 / 130

Pubs: (you require your own copy – none provided by CASA for testing / flight)
Approach Plates: 177 / 160
CAR, CAO, ERSA, AIP, Charts (their FARs etc): 660 / 594

Aviation Security Identification Card (Background check): 196 / 176

GRAND TOTAL (TO CONVERT YOUR LICENSE): 6660 AUD or 5995 USD

So now with a visa and licence in hand you can start job hunting in the pilot shortage! Other things to consider are the fact that the Oz aviation scene is closer in relation to the very thorough British/JAA aviation systems. Given that aussie pilots tend to be more theory based, one must recognise that their system is just different and it may not be to your liking. Also Australia is a large supplier of pilots to the world market (Cathay, Emirates, etc) so be fore warned there will be a large amount of pilots chasing the big jobs. The pilot shortage seems to be focused primarily in the regional market where the terms and conditions are generally worse.

Like all things in aviation this is subject to change, but it should give you an idea of the PRESENT system and some of the issues.

The bottom line is that if you are willing to jump through the hoops, you prove to be a good guy, and you don't come with a "well that's not how we do it in America" attitude you will find a job in Oz. I love Australia, their laid back attitude, and their culture but I think it will take more than just a love of kangaroos to keep you going through the entire bureaucratic process some days.

Blue Skies,
MayFly

P.S. After 5 months I still don't have my VISA and am looking to off shore contract work in the interim. PM me if you have specific questions.

Other info on Oz Aviation:
CASA Licensing at http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/transfer.htm
Australian Federation of Air Pilots http://www.afap.org.au