PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shipping 2 washers= $1000000
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2007, 18:41
modtinbasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't remember what the official teminology was from my days back in the old SM era, but it went something like this.

Your friendly supplier informed you that x NATO stock number had not been demanded for some while so as not to incur further charges for storing an unused and undemanded asset, the offending item had to be disposed of.

The paperwork duly appeared before your eyes and was then signed. Said item then became the property of some quango who no doubt received and re-labeled it and then it sat on their shelf for a change.

Some weeks later, same range manager says 'look boss, we're in a bit of bother, you know the kit that the super-duper-supply-computer had you sell a few weeks ago, well, they need one like yesterday so can you sign here to buy it back please?'

So, at further public expense it's then bought back and put into a storehouse, brought on charge and then issued to the person/unit that wanted it. It's called 'Asset Management' as far as I can remember and I think it cost something like 6% per annum on the cost of your item that you'd already bought to have it sitting on a shelf somewhere. I think that 6% then went to another government department who most likely spent it on achieving another so-called target.

It was all to do with the magical JIT (Just In Time) idea that some stupid twit impressed a minister with and was meant to ensure that the private sector only supplied bits to us when we actually needed them.

Great idea, but the Services tend to go to war and need an item now, not last week or next week, but now! JIT therefore, in a lot of cases, proved to be JTFL (Just Too Fecking Late) but we can't question our leaders can we?

Pity for the guys out in sand pits though when their JIT new boots have not been made yet!

MTB