PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in Canada?
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2007, 08:05
Finals19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attended ProIFR for my initial IFR rating. They are very good at what they do - that is for sure - and have a well developed IFR training system.
The Beech Duchess fleet is well maintained. One slight unusual feature that Pro used to operate on was that you will fly with lots of different instructors and not just one. This may/may not be your thing - its your call I guess. There are some instructors who have been there a long time and are well established, others who are a lot more transient and to a point go through the instructor "puppy mill". This doesn't mean that the quality of instruction necessarily suffers.

Make sure you check the a/c rental rates, as Pro did use to charge extra hobbs time for ground run up on every flight, which if I recall used to seem quite high (0.3?) Every flight I did had an almost mandatory ground briefing (even if it was the same old ZBB-WC-XX-HUH etc routing) which is also charged and I did feel was at times rather surplus to requirement.

Your other options on the field are Pacific Flying Club (good, but a BCIT (local college) Aviation diploma puppy mill) Canadian Flight Centre (also pretty good but smaller, one twin only I think)

Obviously, all these places only train for Canadian licences and ratings (Ste88 - if you're Italian this is worth thinking about because unless you can work in Canada, you're likely going to have to convert your Canadian ICAO licence to the JAA)

Boundary Bay airport is 17 miles south of Vancouver and as such there aren't a ton of accommodation options there. Your nearest towns are Ladner or Tsawassen (sp?!) or otherwise the Steveston / Richmond area which is up hwy 99 towards Vancouver. Richmond, near the main airport might be better for hotel accommodation.