PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - City Jet....C###S
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2007, 21:04
v6g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take the same opinion as Canada Goose and support Vito in his despair and frustration. All the others criticising him don't seem to understand the premise of what a job is for, or the fundamental purpose of a career.

For Vito, you should be thinking about whether, in the long run, you would be better off finding work in an alternate industry, for the time being anyway, start chipping away at the debt and building the firm foundations of a "Plan B".

I know you've spent a lot of money to get this far, we all have, but maybe the right thing to do is to bravely say to Cityjet/Ryanair/Etc, "Thank you for the invite to interview, but I won't pay you to interview me and the associated travel expenses or pay you to train me in your aircraft, goodbye".

Although the last couple of years have often been called "The Good Times" - they've also come at a time of very cheap money, which has increased the number of wannabees in the market as well as encouraging the SSTR. The cheap money era has come to an end. You probably have several decades of a career ahead of you, waiting a few years on the sidelines won't hurt. Even if there is some apocalyptic meltdown of the aviation industry over the next few years at least you'll have some experience behind you in another industry.

Like Canada Goose, I come from an engineering background. For the last job interview I had, I was flown half-way round the world for the interview (1 week in a hotel, car hire, food, all paid for just for a 1-day interview), when I accepted the job I was given a 5 figure sum to "assist in my relocation costs". I was 24 at the time with just 2 years experience. This wasn't for a high-flying executive position, it was just for a job where my skillset was in demand.

Vito, you've come a long way so far but you should objectively consider all the risks with continuing to pursue aviation in the current way. In another career path, you could still instruct in your spare time and probably enjoy the flying & freedom all the more without the stresses of bullying management.

In an industry where employees are becoming part of the revenue stream, remuneration packages have been declining over the long term, and the whole show is entirely dependent on cheap oil, I've decided that it's not the wisest path for me (at least in the current economic climate). Is it really the best thing for you, now?

I might re-visit that decision if the situation changes, but for now, I'm happy not being part of the biggest gamble there is and flying for fun.