PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AEI says "Pilots Not Reporting Aircraft Defects ...
Old 16th Oct 2007, 20:21
Mach trim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Human factors and Going off the runway

I agree about the human factors as I would like to see more human factors training alongside CRM.

The following examples, proposed by Jean-Jacques Speyer, with
Airbus Industrie, illustrate this point:
“The link between A320 nosewheel steering and the Air Data Inertial
Reference System (ADIRS) would have been impossible to achieve in
previous design generations. Yet, the conceptual advantage - nosewheel
steering sensitivity as a function of aircraft speed - is quite
straightforward. As with most automation concepts, however, the
benefits are often counterbalanced by an increased need for an in-depth -
operational understanding which may not be intuitive.
A pilot experiencing difficulties with nosewheel steering may need to work through the operation of the steering, the ADIRS and their interactions in order to understand and cope with the anomaly.
Similarly, the advantage of linking both pressurisation computers with both Flight Management and Guidance Computers (FMGCs) and all three ADIRs on the A320 is that planned and actual flight profiles can be continuously compared for adequate pressurisation control in any phase of flight.
However, the pilot is then placed in the position of having to understand the interactive system functioning in order to exercise the ultimate accountability function.”

itwilldoatrip,
"A320 nose wheel steering MEL is on all A320's. Proves your training is not up to scratch, never been told about differrential braking. Before you asked yes have dispached an aircraft with this MEL and been on board."

Differential braking! wow that's a bloody surprise, got me there, you must have been trained by Luthansa.

"Been on board " does that mean you were a pax,crew or engineer ?

What part of my training is not up to scratch exactly my friend ?

Please enlighten me, as I am here to learn.
You are missing the point here.
The point is it is the Captain's decision and the consequences are not to be taken lightly and yes your ass could be sent to jail. you have to cover your ass no one else will.

You need minimum 15 knots on the corners and if you use too much differential thrust and the nose gear gets stuck to full travel or 90 degrees you are hooped and you need a tow. The operational procedure says you need 5 knots to initiate a turn but this does not seem fast enough.Sure use differential braking combined with differential thrust on the corner.

I brought it up as we recently had a Captain who taxiied out tried it using differential braking and thrust, he did not like the way it turned corners and returned to base. Good for him that was his decision and the decision to dispatch and go in your MEL case was fine as well, as it was completed safely ( wasn't there )

Sure you can go out and complete the flight safely but you could also go off the side of the runway or taxiway.
Put some crosswind rain,narrow runway or a reverser problem into the equation.

Why take the risk of going off the side of the runway or a corner on taxiway ?

Or having the nose stuck at 90 degrees and you block the taxiway until you get a tow ?

Last edited by Mach trim; 17th Oct 2007 at 22:36.