PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light twins - single-engine climb performance
Old 16th Oct 2007, 17:08
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless it is a turbocharged aircraft Vmc is a bit academic "at height" as the live one won't be developing anything like 100% power.

Did the instructor/examiner wedge something (their foot for example) under a rudder pedal to simulate loss of rudder authority at "Vmc", or did you actually allow speed to go well below Vmc and therefore close to stall speed - which engine out is fairly exciting.
Yep true. Isn't it called Coffin Corner where Vmc and stall coincide?

It was a Seneca II and so was TC'd (actually develops more HP at altitude than sea level). The examiner didn't wedge his feet under the rudder pedal then, though I believe now they are advised to do so nowadays. I think I would if I were an examiner I chatted to one FI who lost 5000' in a Vmc demo gone wrong....

Regarding the DA42 - we failed one engine at 5000' in California last year. The weather was reasonably warm, we had lots of fuel (long range tanks) and 3 blokes with overnight baggage onboard. The thing perfomed amazingly and we had no problem climbing at all....(being TC'd helps of course).