PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Traffic Information and UNICOM v AFIS v ATC
Old 16th Oct 2007, 14:06
Binoculars

Just Binos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick, I'm a recently retired ATC who would be more than willing to take up your offer to fly me to the USA to investigate their operations of Unicoms. Of course I would require an assistant for this fact finding mission, in fact I have one in mind who used to work under you, and I would require considerable recompense, but I'm not going to let that get in the way of solid research. So let me get down to the elephant in the room.

Lawyers, Dick, lawyers.

Everthing is hunky dory until things go tits up, then everyone ducks for cover. I got out of ATC because I couldn't stand the constant barrage of useless arse-covering that bombarded us every week. While it may have been finally disseminated to us via email by carefully chosen hacks, it originated from lawyers and accountants.

Now if you can find a way to solve the question of who exactly is to blame when something goes badly wrong at a Unicom, a Cagro, or any other pseudo installation which once may have been called ATC or Flight Service, which you personally destroyed by bringing in your hatchet man Frank Baldwin, then perhaps a few of your detractors may have more faith in what you say.

Are you going to personally guarantee legal liability for these poor unfortunates? Are they even going to be allowed to tell incoming pilots it's raining without a Met Observer's Certificate? What's traffic? Anything within ten minutes? Five minutes? Half an hour? Or is it going to be left to the discretion of an unqualified operator?

We are talking about a society where you are not allowed to smoke within four (count 'em) metres of a licensed establishment; where alternate holes on a golf course are designated non smoking (why no allowance for wind?)

Now I know you agree with me on the foolishness of this unwarranted government interference into our private lives, but do you honestly think your beloved crusade for Unicoms is going to be any different, and if so, how? How are you going to protect the operators from the madness of litigation?

In short, Dick; **** or get off the pot.

(Hang on, I've just had a thought; let's train a separate group of qualified professionals to give non-control information to pilots operating outside the busier airports. Let's call them, ohh, I can't think of anything at the moment.......)