PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2007, 09:00
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seldomfit
<<[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']do you have any pictures of the weather at the exact time the aircraft hit the Mull as THEY would be very relevant to this debate[/font]>>
Well, the weather conditions are very relevant to this debate and pictures of the site from the air or from the sea (as opposed to descriptions from within the mist) would have been invaluable – there were several hours of daylight available after the crash and so one has to wonder why no such photographs were taken – surely not just stupid incompetence on behalf of the authorities.
You have had 13 summers to get familiar with the area (it’s only a days drive away) and to ask the authorities about their photographs.
I have spoken with several locals (on visits to the area) that have reinforced my personal experience of local weather in the region and, with the met conditions (dew point, temp, & wind) as given on the day, have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that at that time of day the mist would have been on the slopes (until it merged with the orographic cloud at 900ft that day) as I have tried to describe for so long now – and, with a forecast giving such prevailing conditions, they could have been counted on days in advance.
I seem to recall that there was a demonstration flight for the legal people involved in one of the inquiries and that one of them commented that it had been (regretfully) clear – a pity when it would have been so easy to have got the same conditions as the crash by scheduling the demo at the right time of year and time of day.
The pictures and explanation I posted were just to explain to people not familiar with the phenomenon how you get ground hugging mist.
I accuse the authorities of deliberately misrepresenting the weather conditions so as better to sell the conveniently simple scenario of an a/c crash in bad weather.