PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2007, 23:10
G-KEST

Awesome but Affordable

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Devil

One Vulcan encounter I will never forget was while flying an air taxi Aztec from EGSF up to Newcastle. Approaching Blue 1 at FL045 I was taking a RAS from Finningley. Suddenly there was a frantic and unintelligable call from the controller while at the same time a Vulcan popped through the undercast like a rocket heading for orbit about 300 metres in front of my aircraft and vanished into the overcast above me. The wake turbulence certainly made my passengers jump. When I asked Finningley what the **** had happened the controller abjectly apologised and explained that the Vulcan had just had a multiple low level bird strike giving rise to a vertical abort. These things happen so since there was no damage apart from to my passengers linen I let it go at that.

Another was at a Great Warbirds display at Wroughton when I was taxiing out in a Tiger Moth prior to my crazy flying slot on the grass parallel to the runway. This was during the previous performance by the tin triangle of VDF. The Vulcan did its usual slowish run downwind and then rotated into a full power climb just about level with me and with some 50 metres of lateral separation. I could guess what would happen so just hung on tight as the aircraft rocked onto each wingtip in turn. No damage done so straight into my slot. I bargained on doing crazy flying......not taxiing. I think the crowd enjoyed both items, I certainly did too.

Cheers,

Reaper 69

Last edited by G-KEST; 16th Oct 2007 at 00:48. Reason: spelling