PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2007, 18:17
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pilot br :
on communications :
5. The Air Traffic Control radiocommunication system, from an exclusively technical aspect, did not present failures, because other aircraft that flew over the region of the accident, including some close to the Legacy N600XL, did not have any communication problems; that the Legacy did not manage to communicate with ACC-Brasilia is linked to the use of differing frequencies on the part of the pilots and of some foreseen frequencies not being programmed in the console that controlled the Sector in which the aircraft flew;
If I read this , and having seen the IFATCA report on the Brasilia centre VHF and radar coverage. I can deduct that the coverage of the VHF frequency they were last given was not for the whole part of their route through that sector , and that now, in the report the pilots are accused of not having selected an alternate/spare one .
Am I correct in this interpretation ?

If yes, then I want to add , that in " normal ATS procedures " (*) it is up to ATC to initiate transfer of communications and frequency changes. Unless , (like in Oceanic for instance ), ATC says , " make your next position report ( in 20 or 30 minutes ) on xxx,xx Mhz, if no contact, alternate is XXX,xx MhZ .etc..

I did not read any of this in the Brasilia R/T transcript published by the NTSB.
For me, they were on a given sector frequency, and the boundary of that sector was until close to the point they collided, and they had no reason to select another one.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

(*) " that is what the rest of the world I know , do.

Is there something specific to Brazil mentioned in the Bazilian AIP ?