PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2007, 13:05
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SB I think you misread the answer. We still ddon't know if A400M will get fuel tank protection. It was supposed to get a nitrogen inerting system and LIRCM but there are no definites in this answer.

Furthermore, I and a number of other people are very concerned about the lack of protection for MRA4. As a result, this question was asked by Mike Hancock, response received today.

Nimrod Aircraft

Mr. Hancock: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what plans he has to provide the (a) Nimrod MR2
10Oct 2007 :
and (b) Nimrod MRA4 with (i) armour and (ii) fuel tank protection before deployment in theatre; and if he will make a statement. [156605]

Mr. Bob Ainsworth:Our aircraft are fitted with defensive systems and survivability aids to reflect the operational environment in which they are deployed. We keep the requirement for such systems under review for all our aircraft deployed on operations including the Nimrod MR2. This will continue to be the case for future aircraft, such as Nimrod MRA4. I am withholding further information as its release would, or would be likely to prejudice the capability, effectiveness or security of our armed forces.

So, that will be a no then...........It is my understabding that MRA4 will have significantly less protection than the ac it replaces. Ainsworth is hiding behind national security issues, the favoured answer for MoD Politicians. He fools nobody except himself.