PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beijing PanAm - disrespect and humiliation of instructors
Old 15th Oct 2007, 05:23
EX-FED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Questions and Comments

I will have to say that I admire Hudson Hawk and the other instructors for their perserverance. It is an admirable quality, and I truly hope things turn around for everyone's sake. But, history has a tendency to repeat itself.

Now that this thread has calmed down from personal attacks (hope I didn't speak too soon), I have a few valid questions and comments. These are not meant to be sarcastic in any way, and I ask that you look at them with an open mind. As Harry said, this is for debate.

Hudson Hawk wrote:

A lot of changes already occurred and some must be emphasized:

1. The biggest concern for many new instructors, the CAAC tests preceeding our flying permission have been made almost obsolete (for the purpose of this employment) - we can fly now on CAAC validations

My question:

I am curious about these so called "validations." Hudson, can you point out in Part 61 of the CCAR's where it states a foreign pilot may act as pilot in command of a Chinese Registered Civil Aircraft without a valid Chinese Pilot Certificate? Additionaly, have you personally seen, or know a person who has personally seen, an exemption to the Part 61 rule issued by CAAC Headquarters (who are the only tier allowed to issue an exemption) allowing you to fly on a validation?

Hudson Hawk wrote:

Pan Am has never enforced "3 try" policy in relations to the CAAC exams and perhaps never will

My response:

I can personally assure you that this policy was enforced per the order of Jack Li. Ask anyone who was here during Pat's tour of duty, and you will know. It wasn't until Jack was "removed", if you want to call it that, and Tu took over the helm that we were able to change this policy because of the invalid knowledge tests. And, even then, the company required a salary cut. I personally had to discuss this with a group of instructors after the final decision was handed down by the Operational Affairs Department. Some stayed, and some took their leave. A lot of good people left. The "fly in the buttermilk is", the CAAC needs to correct those tests.

Hudson Hawk wrote:

Some negotiations and request have been satisfied. (a good example is the recent hotel switch from a 3-star to a 4 star one in Wuhai base)

My question:

I'm glad to see that the living conditions have improved. Appears to be a far cry from the mess that started in Handan. But, I'm concerned as to why negotiations and demands were made for these things, but nothing mentioned about maintenance? Do you know the requirements for inspecting an engine after a prop strike? Do you know what the tolerance is? Do you know that I requested 2 engine teardowns while I was at PanAm, and not one was done? Do you know that one prop strike took over 3 inches off of both blades? Was the engine tore down?..No. Now I ask "why?" Simple....no money.

Anyway, I'm not going to get into the rest of it. Looks like the salarys are a step in the right direction, and I'm glad it's progressing.

Those are my comments and questions in this "reasonable" debate here. Glad all you guys are doing better.

Howard