PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ Interviews
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2007, 01:26
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SID, I don't doubt for a second that the guys/girls who you fly the line with are generally a pretty competent and decent bunch...the Air NZ drivers I know, certainly match that description.
I think the key point is here that the percieved benefit of a degree/university education is misplaced and given undue weight as an indicator of a candidates aptitude; moreover, the system of pilot training in NZ is such that a degree is the exception, rather than the norm.
Given the opportunity if I were employing flightcrew, my main criteria would be, (other than the obvious motor skills and relevant experience) can I sit next to this person for 14hrs? and can I be reasonably confident that I wouldn't want to kill them by the end of it
Personally, the situation matters little to me, other than, feeling a sense of empathy for the frustration that many perfectly capable individuals must feel as they are effectively excluded due an arbritary and wholly meaningless (in a flightcrew environment) requirement.
Air NZ, and its recruitment policies are a mystery to many, and yet, pretty well understood for what they represent in terms of the Airline wishing to keep a certain level of prestige attached to gaining a position with the national carrier......ultimately however it comes down to supply and demand, so we will see how long the weighting lasts.

I have a WELL placed spy on the inside