PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - His Honour Judge Flying Lawyer
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2007, 09:30
LProuse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your calm and measured approach

I first came into contact with FL during the discussion about pilots who were in trouble drinking. To be more specific, I was the first airline pilot ever arrested and sent to prison for having flown a commercial airliner while impaired (drunk) and I submitted a fairly open and naked account of that event. That event became known as "The Flight 650 Incident" and occurred on March 8, 1990.

After having gone broke, shamed and disgraced nationally and internationally, my sobriety eventually allowed me to return to flying some years later...as the President and CEO of my airline reinstated me to full flight status. He took an enormous risk and gamble on me - and I did my best to vindicate him for doing so. I retired honorably as a 747 captain a few years later.

I am a recovering alcoholic although I didn't know it until my event occurred...which ultimately saved my life and opened the door for recovery and some (now) seventeen and a half years of sober living and a new and wonderful life.

In the aftermath of it all, I've had the wonderful opportunity to work with nearly all of the major carriers in America as they implemented their own programs for recovering pilots. I continue to work with those struggling, both in aviation and out, and I've been blessed with those opportunities.

In the midst of some rather hot and volatile comments on this topic, which were more of an emotional and visceral reaction than studied and informed input, FL's comments were always those of a level and reasoned observation.

So it's no surprise to me that someone of his caliber is appointed to the bench and I believe it is to the advantage of the system itself that this appointment takes place.

Congratulations to you, Tudor, and may the hand of justice always be tempered with mercy and compassion - even as those of us who transgress accept responsibility for having done so and acknowledge our willingness to deal with our consequences.

All the best to you, sir.

Blue skies,
Lyle Prouse
Retired Northwest Airlines Captain, former US Marine Corps captain and Vietnam vet...and former federal prison inmate.