PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ Interviews
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2007, 02:33
Split Flap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Freedom situation is internal seat swaps so won't have much effect on new hires, however it may slow the training department down, so new hire courses might be little thin on the ground untill it all gets sorted.

40B

I couldn't agree with you more, it's their train set and they do as they see fit.

What I have a little difficulty with is the following disapointing scenario...
I have a friend who left school at 15 and drove trucks dawn till dusk to get enough money to take flying lessons, by 19 had had his CPL, no debt, and his first job, in his late twenties now with tons of experience, great guy, good pilot, ATPL, etc etc no student debt gets told by Air NZ that he will now not even get the chance to put forward his case in an interveiw because he didn't finish school 10 years ago.
He had 2 options, borrow money to get a type rating, or spend 3 years getting a degree in whatever, to get enough points for an interveiw, either way expensive. He got a type rating, works for Air NZ's competition now, and I doubt will update his CV with Air NZ.
I know he's not the only person in this scenario.

On the other hand you could get a student loan, burn couches, drink piss, get a degree in cut and paste, then get another student loan, learn to fly do a couple of years in GA and have the required points.

I know who id rather sit next to. But who cares what I think.