PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vista versus XP
Thread: Vista versus XP
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2007, 02:32
Parapunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'll aquiesce to the brighter, smarter people than myself & I'm not being snippy or smart - I'm just a user although maybe a just about above average user, since I build my systems from scratch. My experience is like this: I built an Aopen epc 945 on XP media centre edition & it hummed from the word go, then I rebuilt it on Vista on the 30th January this year, so the day Vista came out & in hindsight, the system architecture wasn't designed for it but the one & only problem was the Creative Audigy drivers. No sound.

After three days, someone posted a work around & I had a Vista media centre with 1 Tb storage, a Dvico dual dvbt tv card, an xfx 6200 gpu & 5.1 surround sound - not at all shabby.

I've subsequentluy built an Antec fusion with 1tb hdd, Hauppauge dual dvbt tv card, the same sound card & an Asus 8500gt gpu & on loading Vista Home Premium & bunging on the Network Drivers, I hit device manager & right clicked update drivers for all the un-recognised devices - this installed every last device in five minutes flat & I know from experience that an equivalent xp machine takes hours of setting up from discs.

I'm aware that I tediously come across as an apologist for MS, but I have no connection to them, but I must be that rare thing - a user who has been positively delighted with Vista - I like Aero, I love dx10 & I like the automation of the mundane, but then again I built with 2 gb ram & plenty HDD space, but honestly, outside of the sound card probs, for me. it's all good