PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diamond Katana DV20 for PPL-training
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2007, 01:12
Asrian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank You for Your reply!
I don't have anything against old airplanes, I like them. Would love to do my PPL on a Piper Cub or Boeing Stearman.
Or at least on a "classic" standard plane used for training. The Katana just looks too plastic and too futuristic to me...
Already did a trial lesson in both the C152 and Katana. I'm a tall guy, so both are quite small for me.
But in the end, its a question of cost. I could get training on a rotax propelled Katana (yes, on a grass strip airfield) for about 50-60% the money it would cost me doing it on a C152. AVGas is just insanely expensive here. So I really don't have a choice...if I want to do a PPL here in my country and not go abroad.

So You think training on a Katana would be too easy? Do You think I probably will get used to some bad habits which are difficult to get rid of later when switching to other aircraft?
I really wonder why only a few pilot schools so far use the Katana for training..operating costs seem to be a *lot* cheaper than the traditional AVGas-burner...