PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hello? ML Centre? Yoohoo! Anyone home?
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2007, 21:26
Counter-rotation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, I'd like to add a bit to my previous post, which seems to have opened a can of worms, somewhat...

I have been racking my brain, trying to remember particular phraseology used, and I'm pretty sure that:

1) When we entered the TIBA airspace, it was on descent from E airspace (normal) to G airspace (where the TIBA was in force). This was via the normal "when ready leave control area descending, control services terminated". There was however no mention of "no reported IFR traffic" or "contact [some other freq.] at TOPD"

2) After landing we made the same call to HF that is always made, namely "landed Yxxx cancel SarWATCH". The reply was also as usual - "SarWATCH Terminated".

So that suggests to me that a Sarwatch for our arrival was in place. Otherwise, Flightwatch (HF) would have said they had nothing to cancel.
Also, I never heard "Air traffic services terminated" - that phrase has been used in previous posts. So perhaps there are subtle differences in the situations others are describing, to the one I experienced, and am wondering about.

I must say right now, without question - If I know I am subject to a Sarwatch, I expect to be in place

UNTIL I AM TOLD SPECIFICALLY THAT IT ISN'T

I can't find any reference to it being "implied" by any other statement, and that's not good enough. That's like having someone cancel my Sartime (if I'm operating on one of those instead) because they thought that's what I might have wanted. Mate I'll cancel it when I'm finished with it. If you want to cancel it earlier for whatever reason - you better bloody tell me you have.

As a captain of the aircraft, it is my responsibility to ensure SAR services are in place for the flight, in accordance with AIP. How do I do that? Well there are various ways, and it is a function of category and/or type of operation.

SM4 - I am curious, are you posting from a pilot or ATC point of view?

Cheers all,
CR.