PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help with Lincs
Thread: Help with Lincs
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2007, 00:07
harrogate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The villages around Market Rasen are nice, but there's an ever-diminishing range of local services, the most recent being the phased withdrawal of Post Offices. Buses are scarce and the winter weather can sometimes have you hemmed in. I love it, all the same.

Market Rasen is in touching distance of Grimsby, Louth and Lincoln, so it's not as if you're completely out of it.

I used to live in Walesby just outside of Market Rasen, which is very pretty, but has absolutely nothing beyond some nice views and the odd passing car. Very pleasant, though, but if the Mrs is a home a lot, she might go mental (or more mental ). Nearby Tealby has won 'UK village of the year' several times also. Very pretty. It has a Post Office in a shed that's open for 2 hours a week. How quaint.

Kirton in Lindsey is nice enough, but a bit too near the yellow skies of Scunny for my taste!

Trivia - Bernie Taupin (Elton John's songwriter, for the uninitiated) grew up in Market Rasen, and 'Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting' is about his personal experiences in the town's Aston Arms pub.

Damon Albarn's (singer with Blur and later Gorillaz) Aunt and Uncle also own a potato farm just outside Market Rasen, where he sometimes used to hole-up and write songs.

Louth's very nice if you're thinking of going that far over.