PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Flight Schools, South Africa
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2007, 22:33
Robbiechopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Helicopter Flight Schools, South Africa

Hi All, could anyone recommend reputable/well established helicopter flying schools in South Africa. This is a career change for me going from zero to commercial and 43 Air School in Port Alfred seems to offer a structured syllabus and good support, rather than just plain hour building. Base4 also seem to offer a good package in beautiful Cape town.
I'm 34, self sponsored, following my dream job and intend to work in SA after qualifying.
Being a total newbieI'd like to get as much into the year as possible however are there any ratings which will help my chances of finding a job after qualifying?
A school in SA has quoted around R600 000 for ppl,cpl,CRM, dangerous goods,IR,NR and mountain flying....Is this enough to have a chance of getting a job for a low hour pilot? Should I consider a turbine conversion or am I wasting money at this stage due to my low hour employability?
Would also like to hear from anyone working currently in SA about the current job market in SA preceding the football world cup? Being an expat, I know Cape Town's roads are not going handle the increased road traffic and choppers will fill the skies! :-)
I'm currently living and working in the UK and someone also recommended I get personal insurance here in the UK before going out to SA..
Cheers and thanks, RC