PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lest we forget.
Thread: Lest we forget.
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2007, 21:23
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other half,

I saw these shots and thought of you, with sadness and with pride too. None of it makes sense, and I don't know whether we turn to pride as some kind of coping mechanism. I watched the Above Enemy Lines prog tonight, and the over riding thought I have is that although Private Gray was but a young lad, right at the bottom of the pile, at his moment of dying, he was surrounded by more care and dare I say love, than any General would ever get.

In life as in death, 'we' are all bonded by the same intangible dna, and we (I, anyway) bow my head in complete abject humility at the sacrifice that your fella made. We don't think of it in anything other than abstract terms, but he was prepared to lay down his life in the service of others, and I am just so humbled.

I'll make a point of dropping in and saying hello to him. As I suppose, will we all at some point. I don't know him, as far as I know I didn't meet him, but he won't ever get lonely I imagine! And although he sleeps soundly and lives forever at the same time, we will remember him, and them, with love, care, protection and with so much pride.

They can't be hurt anymore.