PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pitts - what's the catch?
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2007, 21:16
Pitts2112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got to disagree with n5296s on a couple of points. I think he's overcooked a couple of points and underestimated a couple.

Depending on how much tailwheel time you already have, it is quite possible to get the hang of landing the Pitts in a couple of hours. Of course, it depends on what you've been doing with the tailwheel. If you spend a lot of time in the circuit and are comfortable with a variety of approaches and landing conditions, you might be able convert in less time than you might expect. I had about 150 hours tailwheel, much of it in the circuit, did an hour and a half in an S-2, then soloed my S-1D.

Also, the Pitts has about 2 hours' endurance, unless you're blatting around at full power. My S-1 is typical and uses about 45 liters/hour at aerobatic power (mostly full chat) and only about 33 liters/hour in the cruise. In a cross-country you can do legs of about an hour and a half and still have plenty of reserve. That'll give you about 150 nm in real terms.

While it's not a real tourer, I've done 4 trips with the Pitts Artistes into Europe. OK, it's not voluminous, and you don't really want to be doing more than an hour and a half without a cup of tea, but it's imminently workable as a day, VFR cross-country machine. At a cruise of 120 kts, you can get to decent places in reasonable time. Can't carry a whole lot, but to get to a display or competition, or link up with some mates for a weekend away, it's more than up to the task.

I'm based at Popham. Since you're in West Sussex, you might as well stop on by for a cup of tea and a chat about the realities of Pitts ownership. There are a few of us there who are more than willing to tell you what we can to help recruit another to the crowd!

Pitts2112