PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are we all so rude to Cabin Crew ?
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2007, 19:58
fernytickles

Life's too short for ironing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe it has something to do with being the provider, or recipient of customer service. In the days before I flew for a living, it was not uncommon to be treated dismissively. I was the provider of customer service then.

A friend recently described how, when volunteering at their local club, they were treated differently if it was their turn to serve behind the club bar. Suddenly they are the provider of customer service, rather than the recipient. People who normally treated them as friends or acquaintences felt it was ok to bark at them and order them around.

Obviously this is not the case across the board, but people perceive themselves to be above, or below, another person in life's pecking order. Often, but not always, CC are perceived by people lacking the imagination to see them otherwise, as being below those people in the pecking order. To these people, this means they can be bullied, or barked at or ignored.

I think its something we are probably all guilty of to an extent. Its just that we notice it more in the environment in which we experience it, especially if we are the one(s) being barked at, bullied or ignored.