PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fat loadies!
Thread: Fat loadies!
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2007, 18:01
PTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wg13
So going on your statement above, why do we bother to wear rig in camp? (Sorry, wear uniform on base).
Two reasons:
1. It allows easy, at a glance identification of people who should and should not be on camp. Wouldn't you look harder at someone fiddling with an aircraft if they were in civvies? (contractors notwithstanding)
2. It's an historical hangover which has continued due to the basic psychology of the military mind (a different matter to the individual minds of those in the military in most cases!). See Norman Dixon's "On the Psychology of Military Incompetence", chapter entitled "Bull****" (chapter 8 I think, don't have it here with me here in the sandpit) for further explanation.

Nice come-back but I dont think you've really made a convicing argument regarding military people being grossly overweight.
Thank you but that wasn't the aim of my post. I was simply pointing out that if the individual can do a job and his/her being overweight, grossly or otherwise, has no effect, then there is no problem.

Are you saying its ok for military chaps and chapesses being grossly overweight regardless of them being able to do their job?
Quite the opposite: they must be able to do their job regardless of their being overweight. If their being overweight means they cannot do the job (e.g. fitting down the load hatch of a Puma) then there is a problem to be addressed.

Is being military just about being able to do your 'designated job spec'?
Define "being military". Is it anything to do with "being professional"?

Surely the fatties should be doing something about it rather than spending all their time posting about why they should be lard arses on here?
Why? If they can do their job and are an effective part of the military machine then they are taking their pay in good conscience.

Brian - well said.