PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fat loadies!
Thread: Fat loadies!
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2007, 06:24
[email protected]

Received 652 Likes on 287 Posts
I'm afraid the WG13 has this right - having been in for 25 plus years and kept myself the right side (just) of the fat boy bracket by doing Phys - some of the sights you see in a flying suits are frankly a disgrace. We are supposed to be a fighting force and expect the respect from others for that but it is a difficult claim to substantiate when guys turn up to work in spray-on flying kit.

Sadly our system allows guys to keep flying with 'fablon biff-chits' - fit to fly but unable to complete a fitness test for medical reasons.

It is worse at Shawbury because in a loadies operational job, there is a lot of humping and dumping that keeps them fitter (certainly fit for their job) but in LFA 9 they probably see 1 bergen a year.

I take GW's point that they set a poor example to new boys and girls as role models - unfortunately that poor example was being set back in the 80s and probably beyond.

As for the criticsm of GW's ability to assess obesity - you don't have to be a doctor to spot a fat b*st*rd