PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accurate Look at Checkrides?
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2007, 02:24
PantLoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the saying goes...

My company's training philosophy:

We go to sim, not to prove ourselves, but to IMprove ourselves.

Train the way we fly...fly the way we train.

My own philosophy regarding 'training' and busts, etc:
I expect the guys to know 'normals' inside and out...but stuff we don't do everyday (like V1 cuts, emergency descents, RTOs, etc., etc.), I expect to see some rough edges...so, that's why we go to sim...to polish out these rough edges.

However, when a guy shows up for sim who doesn't know basic aircraft limitations, or can't do a normal takeoff (SID, etc.), can't fly a basic ILS with standard callouts, etc...well, this guy will have problems passing the sim ride.

Also, the sim scenarios need to realistic...and chosen to provide a valid exercise in using emergency checklists, crew coordination, CRM, etc. It does no use to have multiple, non-related failures (ostensibly, just to see how people will react).

So, in training, my 'agenda' is to pick a scenario that will require CRM, good crew coordination, good coordination with ATC and cabin crew, an a solid demonstration of the execution of emergency procedures.

Example: engine fire with failure after takeoff from a mountainous airport in a third-world country.

How I run such a scene...let the guys go...do as well or as poorly as they will do...then, talk about it, go back and do it again, slowly...one step at a time. If time permits, do it a third time...letting the guys go....just to let everythig learned 'sink in'.

The result, we all learn something...and, we leave the box competent to handle such a situation.

There are other example scenarios that I like to run...similar to above...that, again, require thought, planning, coordination, CRM, and proper emergency checklist execution.

And, again, we polish out the rough edges.

The objective is to be a better pilot coming out of the sim, than when we went in the sim.

PantLoad