PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How To Judge The Braking Action During Landing (Question)
Old 12th Oct 2007, 00:53
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
BOAC I assume that you do not mean to dissuade pilots from using Max Auto Brake - “I would urge caution as it really does stop!” (#9) as in limiting conditions this system is a critical safety item.
Less experience pilots might be put off by a description of harsh deceleration. High decelerations might be encountered on a dry or damp runway, but in wet and particularly slippery conditions max braking may only produce decelerations similar to normal landings, just when all of the deceleration is required.
The industry had a torrid time with pilots / braking problems during RTOs, - failure to apply or maintain maximum braking; auto brake was part of the solution. Now days landing accidents appear to dominate the statistics thus there must not be any suggestion which detracts from the use of brakes i.e. using max brake when the conditions require.
Brake for safety not for comfort.

A point of interest; as I understand, a PIREP is not used for reporting braking action, although it appears to be (mis)used in this way.

See the last FAA conference on Runway Condition Determination, Reporting, and Report Dissemination Workshop. The summary suggests that the N. American operators are planning to rewrite the definitions used in reporting, or is it that the ICAO terms are not that well understood in the US?

Useful links Safety aspects of aircraft performance on wet and contaminated runways.
Braking Action Measurement.
Braking action; NBAA