PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Migraine question
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2007, 22:19
GSXR1K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to suffer terribly with Migraines as a youngster. Theyīd be as described initialy on this thread, but followed by tremendous headaches and nausea that would last till i had vomited any and all substance present in my stomach, and even then iīd be trying to vomit still for some time (i mean the nausea, as the headaches would go on, and on, and bloody on).

Then i discovered there were tablets you could take to make it better! I couldnīt believe this might actually work! I had even planned to depart this planet had the Migraines gotten frequent...

Well, wouldnīt you know, it did work! That was absolutely bloody marvelous to me, as i used to lay in bed, covered in all the clothing i could gather (so as to face the very low blood pressure that accompanied it, and the extremely cold sweat) for hours and hours, feeling like i could take a knife and poke my eye out so it would stop hurting so damned much.

I remember one episode, after playing a Rugby game, when all my mates were celebrating in the locker room, while i was on my knees hugging a toillet trying to vomit stuff that was no longer there while almost passing out and with huge headaches...

Anyway, after a few years, the condition started to make itself less and less present, till it got to a point when i would go a full year without one. Rather nice, i thought.

At age 38 i decided that, not having been able to do the only thing i ever wanted to, wich was fly jets in the Air Force, just like me pops, i still wasnīt going to die without a pair of wings on my chest!

It got to a point i started being extra carefull riding my motorcycles because the thought of going out without my wings really bothered me.

To make a long and boring story a bit less long, iīm now the proud recipient of a Private Pilot Licence, and have started an Aerobatics course on a Pitts Special (one of the very few airplanes i loved even as a kid, inspite of it not being of the jet fighter variety, and one i now love even more!).

I havenīt had a Migraine for i canīt remember how long (maybe something like 3 or 4 years) but i never ever go anywhere without my Migraine pills...it even got me a little bit worried that the Pitts Specialīs seat belts completely covered my access to them (i lied when i said i had "absolutely nothing" on my pockets, as i knew no amount of Gs would make them leave where they were...), but that only lasted till we went vertical soon after take-off

BTW, the pills work fast in ridding me of the symptoms, in a way i believe if i was alone in an airplane and it hapenned, iīd be ok soon after taking them and able to land safely.

Thereīs allways hope!

PS : Oh, the stress of that first solo flight...checking the placement of the pills for fast one-handed access and so on...good thing flying was allways a very unstressfull thing to me