PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 11th Oct 2007, 11:57
sleepyrascal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking Of Becomnig A Navy Pilot

Hi there,
This is my first post on this site so be nice.

I'm currently workign as a Designer in the oil industry but have also been taking flying lessons towards my PPL for helcopters.

I wanted to move into a commercial role to make a career from flying however the finacial side has beaten me. Now The thought of entering the RAF/Royal navy never really occurred to me until early last year when I got talking to an RAF heli pilot.

So I guess Im rather unconventional in comparison to others who have lived/breathed the forces all their life. I'm now 25 and to old for the RAF, however the Navy will acept me directly as an officer. I have a few questions though which I have had answered by the RN but I would like a second opinion....

1. I want to fly helicopters. Thats primarily why I want to join. Is it likely that i would end up a pilot or is it like a 1/1000 chance? I'm fit, pretty smart, qualified in design and engineering and have some flying experience.

2. I still aspire to being a commercial pilot some day. Is the navy a good route to acheiving this? I mean I would very much enjoy the navy lifestyle etc, but i wouldnt want to be seen as using the navy just for a CPL.

3. I have family and friends and a girlfriend in Aberdeen. How often would i realistically see them if i was a navy pilot?

4. While moeny isnt everything I would be giving up a farily high paid job to do this. What should i expect to be paid (roughly) after training?

5. Search and rescue really appeals to me! Are there opportunities to work in this field or is it fairly difficult to get into.

Moving to the Navy would be a BIG move for me and I would be giving up a career which I have worked hard for in exchange for living the flying dream. I just want to make sure while im living the dream I can still maintain other aspects of my life and manage to 'pay the bills'.

One other thing... im not saying i would leave the navy early, but if that was the case, how soon after training can you leave if working as a pilot.

Thanks in advance!

Ewan.