PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Traffic Information and UNICOM v AFIS v ATC
Old 11th Oct 2007, 08:15
crisper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been doing some research into this introduction of Unicom services and all previous posts regarding what and what not unicom operators can do is mostly correct. This service is solely the idea of airservices, no doubt as a revenue source. Amazingly airservices didn't even consult CASA about this. Since when can airservices do their own surveys - not published might I add - then decide that certain aerodromes "need" their unicom service? I thought CASA made the rules on airspace !

Lets have a look at what they say they are going to provide. Traffic information service. Under MOS part 139 , their operators can give ETA'S and ETD's of aircraft only. OK, I call 15 miles inbound - ABC, baron 15 nm on the 180 radial 2500' on decent estimating Wagga on the hour. Unicom - traffic is ACC, C172 estimating Wagga at zero five. I then call ACC, ask him his position,level and intentions. Then I can work out if he is relevant traffic for me or not and take action. Sounds OK so far. Now it is busy and I call inbound - the unicom operator gives me 10 eta's.( not unusual at Wagga or Dubbo). I then have to go to each aircraft, ascertain their positions, work out the relevant traffic and arrange separation. Meanwhile, the other 10 aircraft are trying to arrange their own separation from each other and we are all still trying to set up our aircraft for an approach ! Your Joking ! Imagine the frequency congestion this will cause as well as the extra workload on pilots. At least now, the only aircraft that are supposed to respond to me are conflicting aircraft. Unworkable at a busy aerodrome. Now the weather information service. Again under Mos part 139 unicom operators can only give "Factual" statements about the weather - I'm unsure what "Factual" really means but it seems that they can tell me its raining. Big deal . I want cloud bases, visibility, direction of storms and advice on the best way to make an approach. Everything else I can already get from the AWIS. So this is no service at all. Unless the unicom operators have met observers certificates - highly unlikey - they cant provide a weather service.

I have no doubt that a unicom service could be useful at aerodromes with low traffic and RPT aircraft, but under the current legislation, the unicom service is unworkable at busy regional airports with multiple RPT movements. The whole proposal by airservices seems to be badly researched by them and deceptive at best. Meanwhile, CASA developed a Certified Air-Ground Radio Service 8 years ago and this provides the same traffic information and weather information as flight service used to in an AFIZ - relevant traffic and real time weather observations. This is running very successfully at Broome and Ayers Rock - both airports with around 350,000 passengers a year - and is very popular with pilots. I wonder why airservices have failed propose this type of service - already proven and successful - instead of the unicom service which was designed to be used by unqualified airline staff - baggage handlers etc. for their own aircraft only? Unicom was never designed to provide traffic and weather information to all aircraft and busy aerodromes and this is why the legislation is so restrictive and with good reason.