PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 10th Oct 2007, 14:21
Knee Trembler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sim Ride

Hi all,
Completed the sim yesterday and as there isn't an awful lot on this thread about the second stage I thought I'd add a few lines.
Mostly it runs as per the instructions you receive so I won't repeat those here.
I suggest that anyone who is unfamiliar with Boeing instruments invest in MS Flight Sim 2004 and a copy of the PMDG 747-400. It uses N1 instead on EPR but apart from that the layout is more or less identical. Ignore the overhead panel and use it to tune navaids, and generally improve your scan. I found it an enormous help.
Also, if you use Jepps then try and get hold of some Aerad booklets for the UK airports and be familiar with the layout and SIDs and Stars in general. I found these hard to find on the web, but someone will no doubt be able to post a link. Lack of Aerad experience partly led to my tale of woe - of which more later!
Regarding the check list, it's worth knowing that the system used is challenge and response. PNF reads and PF responds. Our examiner wasn't worried about the response being word perfect but clearly you can earn brownie points by knowing these.
I won't give details of the exact detail flown as it is quite likely to differ, suffice it to say that the first leg was a short UK domestic followed by a continuation to a third airport.
In any case, you get a weather report and some plogs and 15 mins to prepare before you go in.
In the box, you obviously start from engines running and have practice session and then 5 mins to brief and fly.
It may be me (and you will be queuing up to say it was ,I know) but the figures sent out didn't seem to be more than approximations of the power settings required and I found the handling very difficult. If you are serious about joing BA it is probably worth buying some time in a 747 to get used to this. I spent so much time struggling with the thing that I quickly got behind and as I had the short leg, it soon went pete tong.
Another small point, the chart holders in the sim are pretty poor and it really adds to the stress when you have to fish about on the floor for a booklet whilst trying to hand fly and brief at the same time!
We had no emergencies, go around or LOFT to speak of, but this may be because my colleague was leaving the RAF and therefore had no airline experience. I certainly wouldn't count on this being the case for all.
All in all it was probably my worst performance in the sim ever. A combination of lack of familiarity with the plates and most of all the aircraft meant that the first leg was a wild stallion ride! I'm therefore not expecting good news! I hope that these notes will help you avoid a similar fate .
A final word to say that once again the process is VERY fair. You will be treated well and have every chance once you make it to the sim. On the subject of which, for those of you interested in such things, our examiner claimed that around 80% of applications go in the bin. Around 40 - 50% pass stage one and 70% stage two. Interesting to know, but cold comfort when you ar*e it up at the last hurdle.
Good luck everyone! I'm off to put my 747-400 on ebay.
KT

Last edited by Knee Trembler; 11th Oct 2007 at 07:44.