PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Officer Windsor anyone?
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2007, 14:05
Axel-Flo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry "To Serve..............."

IMVVVHO,
"I think it is felt to be important therefore that William has spent time serving with each of the Army, Navy and RAF.
Serving in more than one of the armed forces is not unusual for the royals. The Prince of Wales, William's father, earned his "wings" in 1971 after training as a jet pilot at RAF Cranwell in Lincolnshire. (JP well it was a trainer then and maybe Hawk, likewise)
Charles went on to command the Royal Navy minesweeper HMS Bronington.
To copy "quotes" from the article it never fails to rile me when precocious/pretenscious journos use such words so inappropriately for example "serve". Its like making out that the RAF football team earned the Gulf War 1 medal for "serving" in Cyprus in the early 90s while doing pre season training. To be fair Charles did command having completed BRNC Dartmouth, OOW courses etc and Andrew completed proper tours as a Gp 3 pilot (FAA equivalent) and Beefer; but to suggest that a gizzit course or 2 for Billy should count as serving is just plain ridiculous. He'll be out for few badges like a boy scout. Cheapening the endeavours of the many others and "Few" before him for a further example of instant gratification. If it's worth doing ...............do it right. No credit for the short cut to greatness. Get some time in boy..... As Heir and potential King, to the throne of a Country I have served for over 25 years, I'd give you far more respect and credit for just doing one of the 3 properly.