PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2007, 02:25
marciovp
I support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cenipa

I am a proud Brazilian and Ii know a little about aviation. Perhaps I am repetitive but, unfortunatelly:

CENIPA is a branch of the Air Force, and the Air Force is responsible for Air Traffic Control in Brazil.

ATCs in Brazil, for the most part, don't speak English to carry on a conversation beyond the niddy griddy.

Either the Legacv pilots understood it wrongly or the ATC in Sao Jose told them wrongly but they were flying 370 to Manaus passing thorugh Brasilia.

The software in Brasilia showed them flying 370:360 (360 being the software that did not require confirmation with the pilots). This hapened for 7 minutes. Then the Legacy transponder went off ( see FAA commmunication) and stayed of for about one hour. The radar in Brazilia showed 360Z360, the first 360 coming from an unreliable military radar and the seconf from he software. It also showed cleaely that no info was coming from the transponder. In no moment Brasilia tried to talk to the Legacy pilots about this anormality. When they did was just to tell them the frequency of Manaus.

The Brazilian government and the Air Force have manteined that the Air Traffic Control equipments and softwares are of last generation and have no problems. The ATCs disagree.

I am wainting from a statement from NTSB.