PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unilaterally imposed Conditions of Service
Old 9th Oct 2007, 21:02
teedub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to think really hard!!!

As predicted the new terms imposed involve a paltry raise based on OUR fantastic profits etc etc...Certainly stings and makes us all mad...But much wisdom has been thoughfuly posted regarding EK and greener fields...More for the benefit of NA types there is a choice to be made, especially for recent joiners, between CX and say UPS/FEX, recall (AA) (well US air also if you're mad enough and other ex-legacy folk who I'm not readily aware of).

In a sense its a spot of online therapy (pardon the self obsessivness) but I hope it will generate the serious thought needed before/if one leaves CX.

Managment:

CX Excellent at generating PROFITS. Maintains GROWTH and EXPANSION. Clearly keeps costs under control. STRONG. Restricted essentially only by market forces (yawn! but true).
Staffed by Swire types who are well trained and groomed for certain spots/missions.

NA Generally not good at generating profits (hey I'm just looking a the score card not the rules of the game!). REDUCED fleets in many instances and cut expansion plans until very recently (Delta perhaps an exception to the rule). Limited but at times uses devistatingly obtuse powers to enforce conditions due to strong union/legal/federal forces. Staffed by a mix of longtime industry types and "in & out" types looking to raid the store (stock options, parachute clauses etc)

Pay (salary)

CX Not bad and AN INCREASE not a pay cut! Standard with other airlines around the globe and on the pax fleet more than ave legacy carriers (assuming you are not a 10y AA furloughe and Cat U'd at CX). 13 month if in HK. Not able to manipulate roster to increase credit hours at will. PX'ing utilized to avoid overtime.

NA Has increased over last couple of years but still deeply cut due post 9/11 givebacks. UPS & FEX are out on their own (if you can stomach the first year re UPS). Ability to manipulate schedule and thus increase salary (to a point...contract rules etc). Several contracts up for negotiation over next 6 months.

Schedules/Rosters

CX Very little flexiblilty to personally alter days off/trips/overnights/etc. Limited joker days.
No open time or drop trip ability. No bonus for years served (ie seniority). No bidding per se.
Aside the howls of the NA Freighter caps many rosters provide significant days off in a row and vacation block often padded with G days. Little use of crew on A days (watch now I'll get hauled out of bed at 6am next A day and 1000 miles away!!). Dont have to spent three days figuring out your bid!

NA Seniority based so if you're at the bottom enjoy your crashpad/phone going off at 5am on Christmas eve!. With seniority! THERE IS A GOD!

Per Diem

CX CASH IS KING...lets hope when CX goes on shore the Cash won't get counted!

NA 52 bucks a day a month later (plus intl overide in somecases but not much more).

Training/Upgrade

CX Strange place! Graveyard for undesirables (politically & technically speaking). Your are never off probation. Upgrade subject to a combination of ability/politics/who you get! etc.
Captains start at year 1 payscale. ERAS (5 for concept 1 for application)!

NA You pass or you fail S or U...simple! Seniority rules the roost so wait 10 years for a command somewhere (but then go in at year 11 pay!!)..Once off probation generally politics will not affect your sim/line experiences. Less pedantic with proceedures. Focus more on real issues (I feel...)

Lifestyle

CX Oportunity to move to HK and make big bucks as an expat....apt, low tax rate, housing allowance (not to much US tax to pay for off shore), great city (don't inhale though). Not exactly sure how new COS will effect basings but opp to live in home country (and others depending on how onshore stuff works re immigration etc). New A/C, great maintainance, Excellent facilities at CX City! 6 weeks vacation. Great Medical. Schooling. Safe city (crime wise HK).

NA Home is home. Live anywhere and commute JUMPSEAT!!!!!!!!!!!. Clean Air (relative)
Less vacation but easy to bid days off around it to obtain equitable time off.

Job Security

CX Very Good unless you do something or someone wrong

NA Shakey especially if the USA invades (---- fill in the gap) an other 9/11 etc etc etc

Pension

CX 15.5%....ends when you leave...can't be stolen (sorry defaulted is the PC word from the courthouse...my apologies your honor)

NA Gamble as to whether you'll get a good one (A's & B's funds) till you croak or have the lot stolen (oops there I go again...sorry judge)

Union/Future Contracts/Labor law

CX Hence the posting....IMHO its not AOA's fault...HK law is LAW....see what happens when CX goes on shore in the US of A!

NA ALPA (wash your mouth out son!) Teamsters, APA, UPS etc etc....love em or like em its why your granddaddy got sundays off from the pit face. Protected by strong labor laws enforcible in US courts.

Perhaps I'll just wait for the circus to some into town and go visit Mdme Zelda and ask her to gaze into her crystal ball for the right answer. Question is do I brush her palm with a greenback or a redback note?

Real question might be if you had a million dollars or so and didn't have to fly where would you wanna be? hmmmmm!

To all you non NA folks sorry for the splurge but hope it adds somewhat to your thought process.............