PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for skills test
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2007, 19:10
gcolyer
Blah Blah Blah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry about it. As soon as you start the engine you will slip straight in to procedure. The examiner will pretty much leave you to it bar telling you what he wants next.

As for what he wants I can only tell you about my skills test. Basically the examiner checked my plog and route and then off went. Pre flight, engine start, taxy and take off. I flew the first leg without him saying a single word, I guess he was making sure I was doing my FREDA checks and keeping a good look out plus updating my plog times. Half way to my second waypoint I was given a diversion (which I had not planned). rather than using the whiz wheel i semi cheated (**see note at the bottom**) I set course for my diversion, the examiner then asked me how long it will take, my ETA and fuel burn and how much fuel I will have left.

Once the diversion destination was in sight I was asked to start heading back to my departure point and to climb to 3000 feet. once I reached 3000 feet I was asked to slow down to stall speed plus 10% to do some slow flight and slow flight 360 degree turns. I was then asked to do a power on and a power off stall. once they were done I was then asked to do steep turns to the left and the right. With those doe I was asked to rejoin the circuit. I then had to do a standard landing, flapless landing, short field landing and takeoff, soft field landing and take off. We then changed runways to do cross wind landings both with flaps and flapless. On the final take off from the cross wind runway the examiner pulled the throttle to idle and told me to carry out a PFL, I had enough height to carry on round to the runway in use and land. I was surprised the examiner made me carry the PFL out to actual landing. We then parked the plane up the examiner shook my hand and said well done captain.
job done.

Things to make sure you do:

1) carry out all checks regularly, if it helps say them out loud as you do them....i did.

2) If you fluff up deal with it and dont give up.

3) Remember clearing turns and HASELL checks

4) Update times and fuel on your plog

(**My little cheat**)

Ok using the whizz wheel in the air is a pain in the arse. This is what i done and still do.

1) Get a pencil with no markings on it and make sure it is not round. On one face mark 5nm intervals and write each interval value next to the mark.

2) Rotate the pencil to the next face and at the 5nm interval write the time that it takes for that specific aicraft type to fly that 5nm at standard cruise and not taking in to account wind correction. obviously use the whizz wheel.

3) Rotate the pencil to the next face and at the 5nm interval write the amount of fuel burned for 5nm at what ever time it took to fly the distance. Obviously use the whizz wheel and refer to the POH for fuel burns.

Here is how it is usefull when i got my diversion. On the map i marked my current location and line the pencil up with my destination, from that i got a rough bearing (you can then line the pencil up in a compass rose to get a better more accurate heading). I used the NM part of the pencil to get a rough idea of how far way the divert is, I can then tell roughly how long it will take and how much fuel i will use, and obviously how much fuel i have left.

It is not 100% accurate but is good enough for an emergency divert. i have heard of other people that have done the same.