PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your helicopter carbon footprint?
Old 9th Oct 2007, 12:34
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
I am silly enough to argue with Flying Lawyer, because I will probably lose. It is his profession to argue, not mine and it is his language, not mine. But I will answer some of his questions.
Applying that adage to this thread, it's interesting to observe which side has been doing the most shouting. And which side has been the most intolerant of those who dare to disagree with, or even be sceptical of, the other side's claims.
I give you a clue, that was in the first answer:
The greatest scam is the idea that you can buy your way out of polluting - carbon offsetting, what a load of bolleaux.
I would say, those who deny the global warming or do not understand the carbon offsetting system.
Now we can point with the finger to somebody who was the first to use bad language. Does that help, no. But it answers your question.
And another question you certainly want me to answer, even if you don't say so:
I don't have a car. My wife has one, which I am allowed to use once in a while. I never understood helicopter pilots who have cars as toys? Cars are so boring. I'd rather go flying.
I take the bike to drive to work. Cheap way to keep me healthy.
Our average garbage weight for the whole family is 2 kg per week. The rest is recycled. Probably hard to beat.
Whenever possible I take the train, because I am lacy and don't like to drive.
I would take the plane for travelling, because it is just a bit difficult to take the train to the US and boats make me seasick. Get real.
Our house does not produce any co2, even the electricity comes from co2 free sources.
For somebody normal, I think I do pretty well.
... and I go easy on the onions and beans.
My point all along the whole discussion was, that those who deny the global warming wholeheartly - the channel 4 experts -, often don't really have a clue, what they are talking about and that the helicopter industry should get their stuff together and be the first industry to be carbon neutral. Is that a bad idea? We could even make some money on the way.
And you are concerned about your law maker’s nadanadanada...
Aviation is one of the prime targets of the environmentalist lobby in the UK. It's an easy target. So let's make life more difficult for one of the few successful industries we have left. What a clever idea.
You know, that you can not win this fight, you can only last the pain longer, if you want to keep the status quo. I think, it would be way better to be offensive in showing that the helicopter industry cares, does something about it. I am sure, we could do better then the "greens" in showing facts and figures.
I accept, that you are more interested in the future of your purse, then a global future. Don't have kids then.