PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 - Governor Goes mental
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2007, 12:01
generalspecific

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R44 - Governor Goes mental

Thoughts and suggestions please..
Started the 44 today, run up normal governor confirmed on and then up through 80%.. governor took it and engine and rotor rpms ran up normally until the engine was at about 88% then there was an engine only needle spike for about 1 second of about 5% (this was a guage spike as there was no accompanying engine note increase).. then it settled down and ran up as normal to 102% engine rpm.
Ran the low rpm check.. light and horn ok and then a normal run back up to a governed 102%.
P's and t's green lights out (i.e governor on) and into a stable 4 foot hover. Sitting in the hover checking the greens one more time and wham... the governor grabbed the throttle and snappped it wide open ( i can only describe the force of motion as the same as when the governor takes hold at 80% and runs the engine to 102%)... engine and rotor rpm heading for the moon in a hurry so i snapped the throttle closed for a hover auto..
Following ground runs we cpould not replicate the 88% engine rmp needle spike or the governor run away, but the govvernor is no governing at the 104% red line...
Now with the engineers while they check out the governor and the engine and rotor overspeed which luckily was minor as i was staring at the guages when the run happened...
Has anyone heard of this or had it happen to them?? Reiterate, the governor was on, the hover was stable, there was no change to the collective pitch nor any pedal movement prior to the event.. it just ran..
I can only describe it as like the governor trying to run the engine up from 102% to god knows where in the same way it does from 80-102%...
Sure got my attention