PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Arabia - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 9th Oct 2007, 11:29
W Weasel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fresh Pilots ?

Dear Indonep:

I have no idea what you mean by “realistic info on how the life is like for a FRESH pilot working/training as a S/o at Air Arabia?”

Air Arabia is NOT a flight school nor is it a training academy. It is a public corporation whose requirements are to increase shareholder wealth and not a government airline. Its main purpose is to fly people from point A to B safely and efficiently, always remembering to make a profit for shareholders. As a result it does not have ab-initio programs like Egypt Air, Air India, Cathy Pacific and Lufthansa etc. There is no training for a “FRESH” pilot. You will have to have all your licenses/ratings up to the ATP before you can apply for the S/O program.

1. Correction: The statement that ABY does not have an Ab-Initio program is inaccurate. There is a program for UAE National Pilots only. The law requires that corporations "hire" and "encourage the advancement or UAE Citizens." Therefore, there is a program for those citizens only.

Unless you are an Emiratee Citizen (citizen of the UAE) you will be competing with other candidates trying to get into the program. Most of the outside candidates that get in already have an A-320 type rating or experience.

In the early days the first candidates were from Europe and came complete with JAR licenses in their pocket. They then paid a lot of cash up front for a rating with ABY. That has changed! The large majority of S/O candidates that come into the program now are in-house employees. These are cabin crew, dispatchers etc. that have taken a leave of absence, traveled to the USA (the majority go there, but some do their training locally) and get their PPL, CPL, IR & MEL. Then they go buy their A-320 type rating somewhere: some in Miami, others in Jordan and others still in Cairo, but wherever they go they get the rating.

1. Correction: this was not to imply that all non UAE S/Os bought a rating. As stated, in the early days many of them bought it via ABY. Today the program is different as stated.

Most have about 500+ hours and from now on the program is intense. They know the aircraft but before they fly they have hours in the FMGS trainer. Then they have hours more in the sim again. I am not certain but it is about 4-6 months after the start of the program before they fly their first flight. Every flight from now on is with an instructor (TRI/TRE) and the verbal drilling/examination is extensive. I believe they are required to amass 250 sectors and 500 hours minimum before they can be released for their PPC.

I have flown with many of the graduates but they admit the program is very hard and time consuming. They have no life. Except for the UAE locals there is no pay while in the program and all expenses are on you. You are required to sign a 5 year working bond that does not start until you finish the program and you have no benefits including scheduling, sick leave, and vacation etc rights. You are not an employee and graduating is not a guarantee of even getting hired at ABY. You are lower than a worm in a ditch!

Indonep, I see from your question you are concerned about quality of life as a S/O. Let me tell you, if that is even a slight concern you may want to consider another line of work. As the salesman said to the customer in the Ferrari showroom: “Sir, if you have to ask the price of the car you can not afford the car!”

But not to worry, it appears the only S/Os getting into the program today are UAE citizens or Air Arabia employees. You have the lead!

Rumble 2 is Burners and Out!

Last edited by W Weasel; 10th Oct 2007 at 04:01.