PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reverse thrust deployment and why can't you take off again?
Old 9th Oct 2007, 09:25
discountinvestigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse thrust deployment and why can't you take off again?

On the old straight pipe jets with clam shell reverse buckets, then there was a basic statement that you could not take-off again after touching down and deploying the buckets. This was said to be because you could risk excessive yaw if the buckets did not restow.

On modern fans, where only the cold section is deflected, then what is the reason for not being allowed to go-around? Is it that the engine power may not allow the doors to reclose? Is the deflected cold stream lift destruction over the wing excessive? Is the deflected cold stream still going to give a greater forward thrust than the hot section full power out of the back and thus induce a beyond design case yaw?

My point of discussion is the commitment to landing of the A320 series once you have touched down because the procedures indicate that reverse should be selected immediately. Did Airbus ever try a baulked landing under these conditions? I just want to understand why you cannot go-around from this point as I have a couple of Airbus family overruns I am dealing with.

Many thanks,

Discount