PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-22 can't autorotate. Say what?
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2007, 03:15
US Herk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airsound
that V-22 is so noisy, especially in the hover and transition, that its use as an AFSOC vehicle could be compromised.
Not any more noisier than a MH-53 or MH-47 really. It's a different sound though.

Originally Posted by Modern Elmo
In regard to to the size of the V-22, apparently the USMC specified that it have the same cabin size and folded deck parking footprint as an H-46. In hindsight, the V-22 should have been larger, at least as big as the proposed CH-53K.
True on all counts.

Originally Posted by brain fade
Are you an Osprey pilot (or crewman) then?
Nope. Talon pilot. But the training command has a programme to allow QFIs to fly other aircraft - I'm going to apply to fly the Osprey. Haven't had the time to sort the details yet.

I spent two days at Kirtland and never saw one fly!
They actually fly quite a bit. There was just a one-time inspection on their blade angle links last week - they were down for a day or so. There was a period last year where they were down for about 2-3 weeks sorting some computer chip issues. Like any new programme, they're cautious & will stand down if there's even a hint of a problem.

Be a sport and look in that yellow/ sand CH-53 parked in the middle of the camp, if you have a moment (marked T0013) and tell me which one it is. The tail ramp is open.
What am I looking for? It was recently moved when they got a J-model Pave to park out front, but still readily accessible. You just want the tail number??