PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your helicopter carbon footprint?
Old 8th Oct 2007, 23:41
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotorbee says:
And those who are the loudest, are most often heard.
I can't comment on what's happening in the rest of the world but, in the UK, that's a fair description of the 'green' lobby who'd have us believe the end of the world is nigh. Unfortunately, those who dare to challenge the basis of their claims, or even express scepticism, are given relatively little exposure because the media has jumped on the environmentlist bandwagon.

and
That reminds me of an old saying. If you are sure that you are right, argue, if you are not right, shout.
Applying that adage to this thread, it's interesting to observe which side has been doing the most shouting. And which side has been the most intolerant of those who dare to disagree with, or even be sceptical of, the other side's claims.

Unfortunately, in the UK, the government has jumped on the currently popular environmental bandwagon as a means of raising more tax revenue. Not for the purpose of raising more revenue, of course, but in the interests of the environment. Believe that if you will.

Am I concerned about the future? Yes.
I'm very concerned that we're going to pay even more tax in the guise of concern for the environment.
I'm very concerned about the practical consequences of the leaders of all the major UK political parties trying to outdo each other in pursuit of the 'green' vote. (I try to take comfort in the fact that they actively pursued the 'pink' vote not long ago, so I can only hope we'll have a respite when a bandwagon of a different hue eventually rolls along.)
I'm very concerned that some powerful politicians want Britain to lead the world in environmental issues. The thought that they might succeed in their aspiration worries me. I'd be relieved (delighted, even) if we were somewhere amongst the last wagons. Politicians are extremely adept at talking a lot about doing a lot whilst actually doing little or nothing - when it suits them. This is an area where I'd welcome seeing those skills put to good use so that we delay inconvenience and interference in our freedom of choice for as long as possible.

Aviation is one of the prime targets of the environmentalist lobby in the UK. It's an easy target. So let's make life more difficult for one of the few successful industries we have left. What a clever idea.
I accept entirely that the aviation manufacturing industry has to prepare for the future and, just as important, must be seen to be doing so.
In the meantime, the aviation industry as a whole should be embarking upon a massive PR exercise to defend itself against the attack, including correcting the false impression created by the green activists that aviation is a major contributor to global warming/climate change. And including using every devious trick in the spin doctors handbook, which reminds me of another old saying - by a good friend of mine: 'If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly.'
(Actually, not so old a saying. When did you first say it Nick? )

Do I care about the environment in the sense that word is used in discussions of this sort?
Yes, in theory; no, in practice.
ie Do I do anything/not do something out of concern for the future of the environment? No.
Those who claim to be so concerned are often shocked by that - until asked what they do. eg Do they forego a foreign holiday by air, walk/cycle/take the train instead of driving, actively minimise their leisure use of fossil fuels etc? The most the overwhelming majority come up with is having a recycling bin.
I'm not sure how long that freedom of choice will last. Throughout the history of mankind, zealots have forced their views on those they fail to persuade. Always for the 'greater good', of course.
That reminds me of another old saying. 'If you are sure you'll persuade, argue. If you're not sure, use force.'

PS. I'm all for other people choosing to use their cars less.

FL

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 9th Oct 2007 at 07:00. Reason: Typos