PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unsecured Loans
Thread: Unsecured Loans
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2007, 21:19
Chukkablade

(is that English what I am typing?)

It's close enough to do the job Dartagnan.

I'm not sure that the Airlines will struggle to find Pilots. The Pilot Shortage myth has been kicking around since the first seminar I attended on commercial aviation. That was the month after GW1 finished, so that rather dates it. It was bollocks then, it's bollocks now. When the traffic on this board falls to zero because the airlines are camping outside the training school gates to hire graduates, then believe it. Until then, it's all kiddology and grist for the multi million pound machine that is the training industry. The young people with a dream believe it because they want to/need to, to justify getting into horrendous debt.

All that will happen with the credit tightening WWW has pointed out is that those with old money and independant means will have the ability to start those nice integrated courses. Little Johnny Borrowlots will not now be on those courses. People may cry and holler over that, but it's no one's right to be able to actually borrow huge stacks of cash to follow a dream. Sad but true.

However, as WWW has managed to hit the nail on the head squarely with the hammer, those who had planned to be funded by mum and dad treating the family home like an ATM via Mortgage Equity Withdrawl (the eponymous MEW) will find that route firmly closed to them.

MEW is already going to put quite a few old people at risk as they have used the house, when in a rising market, to bale out the juniors who have been merrily hooning the metrosexual lifestyle of 'party now, pay never'. In a falling/stagnating market, it all gets rather more difficult and it may mean a revision to the (shock horror) days of people actually saving up the money to do whatever course enables their dreams. in this case, aviation.

Hard life