PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your helicopter carbon footprint?
Old 8th Oct 2007, 18:10
Rotorbee

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Now it is the crabs turn again (why do I think about garlic and olive oil?)... will there be something sensible what we can acctualy discuss, or another excuse for continuing playing with toys like cars?
I don't think either, that hydrogen is the way to go, nor nuclear power. The later because storing the very dangerous waste for 10’000 years is just a bit silly and there is no endless supply of uranium either. Apart from that, the energy content is just great.
We must replace the fossil fuel power stations with something, this is clear. I think the idea of a huge high tension network all over <enter continent here>, is one important part in the big picture. By connecting wind, solar and hydraulic power stations (or anything else that does not pollute), we could produce the electrical power where the wind blows or the sun shines and use the surplus to pump water up in the reservoirs to store the energy for peek times.
Methanol would be the next piece in the puzzle, but only when we are able to produce it from the whole plants and not only from the grains.
Fusion is just too far into the future to count on it.